Sunday 22 July 2012

Steampunk Day

Hi all, it's Sunday which means it's time for another challenge over at That Craft Place Challenge Blog and this next fortnight it's Steampunk and our sponsor is Indigo Blu. I also would like to enter my creation into the Mojo Monthly over at Sarah's Blog which is What is your Style and the challenge over at Simon Says Stamp and Show which is No Rules.

Since Artsycrafts retreat I have realised that I love creating projects that are made up of tiny creations, I still find comfort in my colouring and blending but I am really happy that my stamping is getting to the point that I can show everyone, to the point that I'm even having a go at the Simon's says stamp and show challenge blog, I love the creations over there and spend each week looking but never felt confident to have a go.

I am loving being on the DT over at That Craft Place which is my second DT ever and I have goodies sent to me to use, how exciting is that, I feel really lucky to be given such a huge chance to work with some incredible people. I really love the steampunk style and also follow Sarah's blog as she does amazing work especially her steampunk style.

I went to one of these Family Bargains places where everything is cheap and found a little picket fence for 99p, I asked the OH to get some wire mesh, we did this in Artsycrafts and I love the idea of it feeling really open, I also got the OH to saw off the spiky bits off the fence. Those spiky bits really helped as I used them for testing paint etc to see what I could use, I finally decorated it with Stazon Rusty Brown, then sprayed with some Dylusions, Cosmic Shimmer and Moon Shadow mists, the metal was also coloured with random stazon.

The gears were cut from chipboard (that comes in packaging) and painted with a bronze paint, then sanded, then  sponged black in areas, then came the Crafty Notions rusty powder, now wow that stuff really is brilliant but alot of work, I used multi medium, then added powder, shook off what I didn't use and sprayed vinegar all over (outside of course), it says water but I heard somewhere that spraying this would be quicker, but I'm not so sure, after an hour I sprayed water, then another hour more water, then bought them in and sprayed again and then let dry overnight but I am really impressed they really look like rusty gears.  I did the same with the chipboard letters and the chain got a rusty go as well.

I'm pretty sure you can see how the rest is done, mostly stamped on metal, wire added for depth to give the steampunk style, fragments with clock picture and then faux soldered with UTEE, Lava black UTEE poured on cracked stamp, with a heart cutter, mica powder, clock embellishments and rusty wings.





I have to say this, those letters really didn't want to play, they kept running away, I had one fall down at the back of the radiator which is one of those almost closed at the bottom so only small bits can come out, I had OH untangling a metal coat hanger, he kept saying just make a new one, I'm like this is due in by 6pm it's now 12pm I haven't 16hrs to do another one lol, then bugger me I lost another one, I was on my hands and knees searching everywhere and the runaway was in the recycling bag!!!! lol lol lol

Right I better be off, this had to be on by 9am oops.  Hope you all have a fantastic day, it's gorgeous here. Thanks for visiting :-) Kerry xxx

Recipe
Stamps - Creative Expressions (texture and timeless journey), Chocolate Baroque (punky romance), Paperartsy (clocks 6), Indigo Blu (grand tours 3)
Patterned Paper - Graphic 45 (steampunk debutante)
Sparys - Stampman Moon Shadow (crow's nest copper), Dylusions (burnt orange), Cosmic Shimmer Mist (rich gold)
Embossing powders - Cosmic Shimmer (lava black utee, gold utee), Melt Art (clear and flex utee). Wow (clear super fine)
Dies - Sizzix (rectangle window), Tim Holz Alterations Sizzix (heart wings, gadget gears)
PaperArtsy (metal copper tone)
Ten Studio tools
Chicken wire
Viva Inka Gold
Wire
Crafty Notions - Mica sheets and Rusting powder
Heart and square cookie cuters
Reeves acrylic paint - gold, copper and bronze
Ranger - matte medium, glossy accents, archival jet black inkpad, Tim Holtz fragments and some charms
Versamark, Stazon (rusty brown)
Light bulb
Route 52 charms, Crafty Individuals (time to travel sheets)
Stampin Up Alphabet Chipboard
Cosmic Shimmer - Mica powder (red bronz and copper)

7 comments:

Terry said...

Hey there Kezzy, this is really a fabulous steampunky piece you did a great job wowzers absolutely amazing, thank you for sharing it with the DT from SSSS hugs terry xxxx

Words and Pictures said...

Great piece, so much fun, funky metal goodness! Great to hear how it all came together too.
Alison x

Hanna said...

WOW, I love your steampunk project Kezzy! You've done such an amazing work with it, there are so many awesome details and I love the combnation of materials you've used. Very artistic :)

hugs
Hanna

Ali H said...

Great project - sounds masses of work but the whole thing has come together beautifully ! Thanks for visiting my blog too ! Ali #97

Shoshi said...

Wow, now that's a steampunk project and a half! Lovely and grungey!!

Thanks for your lovely comment - so glad you like all my inky colours and the fun I am having with the flowers. I've had to put the flowers to one side because my hubby has askee me to make a card for a friend's 80th which is at the weekend - I'd forgotten about it!! So all the stops are pulled out now, and it's butterfly time, but still with Dylusions inks! I'll be posting about it in due course.

Shoshi

Sarah said...

Hi Kerry,

hello at last (sorry for the late response - I thought I'd been! Life is a bit hectic here - but on the up I think...) This is a really great and creative Steampunk piece with so much to see - I love all the details and rusty tones and those letters look fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing with My Mojo Monthly! Sarah.

Words and Pictures said...

Hi again Kerry!
Yes, I remember this piece very well - it's what made me sign up to follow you by email... I'm just about to go visible too!
Alison x