Thursday 12 September 2013

Snow Queen

Hi all, just popping on to show you my Snow Queen, I have found that I love making buttons with clay and using inkpads and stamps, so I wanted to try something bigger.  The stamp is a gorgeous Christmas stamp by Indigo Blu called Rebecca snow queen.  Instead of telling you how I did it I have done a step by step to show you how I got there :-).
I would like to enter my hanging into the following challenges.......................
Artistic Inspirations Challenge - Anything but a Card/Anything Goes
Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog - Anything Goes
Simons Monday Challenge - Embossing - I heat embossed the snowflakes and flicked powder around to make it look like snow storm :-)









These are what I started with, I used the darker colour.  Initially I wanted
white with blue stamping but I had ran out of white.

Adding it through the pasta machine a few times gives it a lovely feel and
easy to work with.

I rolled out the size.

It's really easy all you do is stamp into the clay.  I find using
a pigment ink pad always works better as they are more opaque
and because you are cooking the clay it dries.
I cut around really carefully missing out some of the more small and intricate
snow flakes.

Next I had a piece of canvas board that was left from cutting up
a large sheet.  I used spellbinders circle die and some Tim Holtz make your own mask
for the moon.  Then I sprayed with dylusions.
Ooops I also painted it with gesso before hand.

I keep spraying and drying, spraying and drying until I get the look I want.

Next I started playing with the moon, used just water and a paint brush.

Next I did some stamping with a scrip, shame I did it upside down!!!!!

Now I have found that because I use around 5-6 layers over the gesso to get
that burnt look, just by handling it you can get the blue on your fingers,
so I find the best way is to use spray and shine.

I wanted sparkle in my snowflakes but not a lot so I played for a bit and
ended up mixing some white with snow embossing powder.

I forgot to take a picture but I did use a little bit of talcum powder gently
brushed over the canvas to help the embossing powder not to stick.
Your probably wondering why as I wanted embossing powder everywhere, but
I wanted the snowflakes to be perfect and the snow storm to be where
I wanted it to be lol

And that was it, the next step was to heat snowflakes all over which are from the same stamp, then add some white sprinkles of embossing powder.  Next I used some cosmic shimmer mist in violet to add a bit of added colour, punched the holes, wrapped some wire around my finger and added some bells on.
Hope you enjoyed the step by step and a huge thank you for getting this far lol.
Happy Crafting :-)
Hugs Kezzy xxx


Recipe
Stamps - Indigo Blu (rebecca snow queen, scrip background)
Ink pads - Brilliance (moonlight white), Archival (jet black), Versamark (dazzle)
Canvas Board (cut up piece)
Fimo blue sparkle clay
Fimo varnish
Dies - Spellbinders circle die which I cut out of Tim Holtz make your own mask sheets
Gesso
Sprays - Dylusions (after midnight, london bus), Perfect Pearl Mists (blue raspberry), Cosmic Shimmer (purple violet)
Imagination Crafts - sparkle medium diamond
Cosmic Shimmer mica powder mixed with glossy accents to make a paste to edge around canvas
Wow mix of bright white and sparkling snow

8 comments:

Julie Lee said...

This is really beautiful, Kezzy! What a lovely idea. I love your buttons, but this is just gorgeous. Thank you for sharing the technique of stamping in clay. Julie Ann xx

K8 said...

Wow, amazing creation, love all the details on it!! Thanks for sharing the technique. And thank you for join us at Artistic Inspirations this week, hugs Kate (DT)

Unknown said...

Fabulous creation with so much dimension, bet it looks even better in real life.
Fabulous step by step photos too, who would have thought that a pasta machine would disappear into a craft room .......LOL!

Thank you for joining us at the Artistic Inspirations this week
Claire x
(DT member)

Gio said...

WOW, Kezzy,it's very beautiful, the clay piece and the background,perfectly matched!
Thanks for sharing the step by step.

Crafting Queen said...

Wonderful creation, love your background.

Words and Pictures said...

Wow, Kerry, that is so cool! Love the stamping into the Fimo, especially the silver onto that dark blue - beautiful - and the snowflakes and flurries of snow powder look wonderful.
Alison x

Anonymous said...

Beautiful creation, love the image and fabby colors. Thank you for joining us at Artistic this week. Abbie xx

Anna-Karin said...

Beautiful canvas board! Love that clay piece, what a great idea. Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!