Sunday 1 February 2015

Funky Hearts

Good Morning, I'm here today to show you what I have done for this months challenge over on Unruly PaperArts which is HeartFelt.  I decided to go for a bright funky heart hanging, as always I did a step by step :-).
I would like to enter the following Challenges
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes
Artistic Stamper Challenge Blog - Love
Addicted To Stamps Challenge Blog - Lots of Layers
Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge - Choose your challenge (chart) I chose - 1. Spray mist and paint, 2. Yarn/thread/floss, 3. Stamping and mixed media, 4. Wood and Chipboard (hearts 2 are wood and 2 are chipboard), 5. Bling (gem in middle was painted, plus lots of Treasure Gold).
Papertake Weekly Challenge - Choose your challenge - Colour Wheel warm colours.

I just love bright colours while it's cold outside :-)


















And now for the step by step ................................

Scrunched tissue for texture on a canvas

Gesso

New to me - Absorbent Ground to help the dylusions absorb into the canvas.
Dylusions never really work well on gesso, they are too light and come off easily.
I tried this and wow the colours were amazing after a couple of sprays :-)

Some wood hearts covered with gesso

I am loving playing with heavy gesso at the moment to make wonderful texture,
after it dried I added the absorbent medium on the large heart.


Grabbed some sprays out, the pink on there already was from pulling a lid off lol.
I ended up using only Dylusion sprays (product list at the bottom), I have some old
Dylusion sprays from years ago, these older ones I added pearlescent mica powder
to them to make them shimmer.

First application, even after wiping it off with a kitchen roll, it still absorbed brilliantly.

Second application, it didn't need anymore, and I love the shimmer in details,
using both sprays leaves mica in places not all over which looks lovely.

Then I sprayed through a stencil (which disappears later)

Same thing with the large heart.


Now I had heard that you can spray airbrush medium to keep fix the dylusions.
Well errrr, problem with that you have to spray quite a bit and everything ran,
the look was ok after, but not sure I like this idea.  Especially as when
adding texture paste some of the colours came through.


Lots of gorgeous kitchen roll drying for further art playing :-)

This airbrush medium dried.

I used the stencil with texture paste, as you can see some of the colours
came through,  as it is, it looked really nice.

Using Pan Pastels, now the heart with the thick gesso really looked gorgeous,
the other hearts with just one layer of normal gesso didn't take as well, they
were different gessos, but that was a surprise.


I use Paperartsy Satin Glaze to seal the pan pastel.

I used silks on some card, mixing the colours to match the canvas background.
I also went over the small hearts with the pink silk as I really didn't like the pan pastel
look on it, you see later that I change it again lol.

Black paint for all the edges.

Stamp from Dina Wakely.  I stamped them a few times as I wasn't sure
what would look best.

Stencilled on the hearts.

Still didn't like the small hearts, the stencilling ruined them.

Treasure Gold and fibres

Stabilo pencil around the outside edges of hearts with a bit of Treasure Gold

I really loved the effect of these together, and that gesso texture looks awesome.

Back to the hearts, I used white paint and then went over them with Magenta paint.

I painted a heart gem black, then stamped the hearts.
All that was left was some white pen on the dots, some Treasure Gold and then
add everything together :-).

Right I shall be off, I have another post this evening for my other DT project.  Hope you have a fantastic crafty Sunday.  Thank you so much for taking the time to visit.
Happy ART :-)
Kezzy xxxxx

Product List
Dylusion Sprays - pure sunshine, tangerine dream, cherry pie, funky fushia, lemon zest, burnt orange (mica) and hot pink (mica)
That Craft Place - wooden hearts
Stencils - Tim Holtz (hearts), Artistcellar (hearts and stars)
Gesso - Studio and Prima Art Basics heavy gesso
Prima Art Basics soft artist gel
Tissue paper
Stabilo black pencil and Uniball white pen
Dina Wakely paint - Magenta
Paperartsy Fresco paint - snowflake, little black dress
Silks paint - pink azalea, apricot nectar, yellow rose
Pan Pastels - magenta, magenta extra dark, pearl medium
Paperartsy Fresco medium - satin glaze
Archival jet black
Stamps - Paperartsy EEV06 (dots), Dina Wakely Collaged Hearts (sentiment)
Golden Airbrush medium and Absorbent Ground
Fibres
Treasure Gold - rose quartz
Little gem

14 comments:

Glenda said...

What beautiful layers, colors, texture and all those lovely hearts! Such a wonderful work of art! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous for the January Challenge!

rachel said...

absolute genius Kerry - your work just keeps on getting better - love it to bits! Big hugs Rachel xx

wendipooh13 said...

ohhhh stunning canvas!!! love it!! Thanks for joining our challenge at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Wonderful Wonderful project , Kezzy!! Thanks for sharing!

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Thanks for joining us at Artistic stamper challenge this month.

creative lady said...

Wow, beautiful canvas project. Love all the textures, colors and layers you added. Thanks for the tutorial and thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Rachel B. said...

Beautiful project! Thank you very much for the step by step instructions!

Words and Pictures said...

Fabulously zingy colours and the textures, as always, are to die for. Really interesting experiments with the fixative - love the added glow it gives to the colours, and I love the texture paste hearts over the top, sucking up the colour too. Fantastic project - thanks so much for playing along at The Artistic Stamper.
Alison xx
Sorry to be behind again... you know how it is!!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

I love these punchy colors...and all the great textures on this bright and beautiful composition! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Unknown said...

Absolutely enjoyed seeing how you pulled this all together. It's wonderful! great color & texture.
Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

Pammejo said...

Fabulous project, love all the step out photos showing us your amazing work. Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Chris said...

Hi Kezzy,

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I love the technique you used to create such dynamic layers! The colors are also warm and vibrant! Thank you so much for joining the Layers Challenge at the Addicted to Stamps Challenge Blog!

XO,
Chris
http://ascrappersmusings.blogspot.com

Gloria Stengel said...

What vibrant colors! I love your texture and layering. What a wonderful job with the paints and media! Thanks for joining the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge!

Deb said...

Wow, gorgeous colours and textures Kezzy and what a beautiful sentiment. Love it!