Good morning, hope your all ok. Today I am extremely honoured to be a guest designer for the current challenge over at Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog which is Love Is In The Air. I decided to alter a wooden Love that I have had for a least two years (this year I am determined to use stuff up lol) which I have made for my partner. Now I have to admit, this would have looked awesome with reds and pinks with lace etc but no I decided to make it for a male, talk about giving myself a challenge lol. Hope you like it. There is a full step by step and all the products I used are at the bottom of the page :-).
I would like to enter the following challenges :-
Altered Eclectics Challenge Blog - Anything Goes Altered Art/Mixed Media
Rhedd's Creative Spirit Challenge Blog - Anything Goes Mixed Media
SanDee & Amelie's Steampunk Challenge Blog - Anything Goes Steampunk
That's Crafty Challenge Blog - First Love
And now for the step by step.
I used some heavy modelling paste through a stencil straight onto the wood without any preparation before.
Next I used some burst sienna and burnt umber with lots of water and stained the wood (after the paste had dried).
I used some clear gesso over the top.
I used a deep turquoise for the next layer.
When I am doing this particular technique of layering and rubbing back I like to use the glue method for the crackle as it comes off really well with a good rub. Now as you can see with the white blob next to the e, the glue I use is about 7 years old, I certainly wouldn't use it for glueing but for this it works wonders. I dab on with a sponge.
Then straight away before the glue dries I add the paint quite thickly in areas.
And this is the effect when dry.
Now for the 3 layers of glazing, the glazing I use is Liquitex and I mix in the ratio of 50/50. First off light burnt umber, for this layer I wait a little bit longer and rub off with a damp cloth so I can give it a good rub.
This is after the first layer.
Next glazing with raw umber.
This was the effect after rubbing. You can see how we are now taking the blue away in areas. The paint in the pic is the next layer.
Next glazing and burnt sienna for a warmer feel in areas.
I forgot to take a pic of the after but you can see it here as all I did next was stamp a wire stamp in areas for a little bit more depth.
I used some foil in small areas just for that bit of metallic look.
Next I used some Treasure Gold but not too much. After glazing it always feels a bit tacky and I tend to like to stroke things (art that is lol) so I add some soft touch varnish with makes it feel gorgeous.
I wanted this metal embellishment as we have been together for 10 years but it was copper look like the clog (which is just for showing) so I used some gold paint and then grunged it up with archival black to make it look a bit closer to other metal ones being used.
Finally I added one of those loop thingies (the word escapes me) and added a chain that was already grunged up from a project a few years ago.
I hope I have managed to give you some ideas for your loved ones, well grunged up style. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit.
Happy Art :-)
Hugs Kezzy xxxxx
Paint- Daler Rowney heavy body (burnt umber, burnt sienna), Liquitex heavy body (turquoise deep), Paperartsy (nougat), Golden (burnt umber light), Decoart Media (raw umber, burnt sienna), Reeves (gold).
Mediums - Liquitex (glazing fluid), Prima (gesso clear), Decoart Media (soft touch varnish), Winsor & Newton Galeria (heavy modelling paste), Cosmic Shimmer (flake & glitter glue)
Stamps - Finnabair Prima (net & wire)
Ink Pads - Archival (jet black, potting soil)
Stencils - Tim Holtz (flourish)
Treasure Gold - onyxite, classic
Ranger - foil sheets vintage
Metal embellishments and chain.